Friday, September 30, 2016

The Elder Brother and Grace


There is grace for the elder brother too if he repents. I’m being reminded of this because I so often live like the elder brother in the story of the prodigal son. Not because I’m angry or self righteous toward the child that has strayed and is coming home, I learned that lesson a long time ago. I was the younger brother too and I remember it well. But my default mode is still religion. I still fall into times of earning and controlling. So, when an area I’ve been striving to clean up in my life isn’t improving the way I want I get irritated. I get angry at myself for my weakness and angry at others who I feel may be hindering me (or at least not helping me) get to my goals. It is amazing how sneakily the enemy gets us to point the finger at one another and ourselves.

Our Pastor said that the devil does enough accusing of us before God, let’s not add our voices to his. At the time I was nodding in full whole hearted agreement. Yet, how soon until I was committing this very sin. Thankfully the Holy Spirit opened my eyes to it. He showed me another unclean area of my heart and offered to cleanse it. I responded, “Yes.” I am so grateful that he brings conviction in clarity, not confusion. He helped me write out all my anger and frustration in order to get to the bottom of it. He cuts past the goo to the bottom of the wound so it can be healed properly. And then, he’s so awesome, he brings glory to himself out of it.


So, here I am once again, on my face in the dirt. It’s almost funny how often I fall. But he picks me up, dusts me off, and sets me on my feet again. Like a kid learning to ride a bike, here I go again. A little more humble and grateful for the mercy and grace he has for the elder brother and the prodigal.

Your friend in hope,

Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment